Dustin Johnson said he will never make the same mistake again after receiving the first penalty of the 2019 at the Sentry Tournament of Champions on Friday.
The American made a double-bogey six at the par-4 fourth hole after accidentally hitting the wrong ball.
He had his tee shot left of the fairway into a native area and by the time he got there a marshall had already marked the spot and told him where the ball was.
Spotting a TaylorMade ball in the thick stuff, Johnson hacked it out, then walked up about 20 yards and saw his actual golf ball, still lying in the spot he had hit it to.
“That’s what made me realize it wasn’t mine,” Johnson said.
The end result was a two-stroke penalty, a double-bogey, and a one-over-par 74.
“I could see the (TaylorMade) logo on the side so obviously I just assumed it was mine,” Johnson said. “That won’t ever happen again.”
Johnson said the incident was unfortunate and he didn’t blame the marshall who pointed him toward the wrong ball.
“It’s not his fault,” he said. “Just gotta keep going on about my day. Hopefully it gets better and it didn’t.”
Rory McIlroy looks set to end a run of three missed cuts in the US Open after opening with a rock-solid 68 at Pebble Beach on Thursday.
Brooks Koepka’s chances of a historic third straight US Open title are still alive after he ended the first round just four shots back.
Tiger Woods was happy to salvage a one-under-par 70 in tricky conditions on the opening day of the US Open at Pebble Beach.
Justin Rose equalled the lowest US Open round ever shot at Pebble Beach, a six-under 65, to take a one-shot lead after the opening round.
The United States Golf Association admits that it can’t afford a repeat of past mishaps at this week’s US Open at Pebble Beach.
Brooks Koepka hardly needed any further motivation ahead of his US Open defence this week, but he just got it anyway.
Rory McIlroy doesn’t want to be behind the eightball after the first round of a major championship again at Pebble Beach this week.