Bae inches ahead at Riviera
Sang-Moon Bae holds a slender lead at the Northern Trust open after carding a 66 in the second round.
A first round 67 and this five-under 66 put the South Korean on nine under par for the tournament, just one stroke ahead of Australia’s Aaron Baddeley and Robert Garrigus of the United States, and if you fancy backing Bae to go on to claim the victory on Sunday, or if you fancy any of the chasing pack, check out the top sportsbooks for a guide to the best betting action online.
Interestingly, Bae was also on nine-under after two rounds and was tie for the lead in last year’s edition. However, a poor third round of 76 blew his chances of a win.
“I had a really, really solid two rounds,” said the 27-year-old. “I love this course.”
When asked what he had learnt from his experience at the Riviera Country Club in 2013, he replied:
“Patience. That’s it.”
Meanwhile, the round of the day belonged to father-to-be Jason Allred, who fired a seven under par 64 which catapulted him up the leaderboard from outside the cut line to a tie for ninth position.
“I almost didn’t come here, so I thought I might as well let it rip,” said the American.
“It’s such a unique challenge to be out there and deal with the emotion. … I told my wife a couple days ago, if I can go through this weekend and just be able to look back and say I really enjoyed it and stayed present, I’ll be happy. Thankfully, I did that.”
PGA rookie of the year Jordan Spieth also had a great round, carding 66 while 2011 Northern Trust Champion Baddeley shot a six-under 65.
Overnight leader Dustin Johnson shot 70, including three bogeys, to fall down to tie for fifth.
Former Open champion Darren Clarke withdrew from the tournament citing a recurrence of a chest injury. The 45-year-old slumped to a seven-over 78 in his first round before calling it quits.
Play was suspended late on Friday with six players still out on the course. However, they aren’t in major contention as not one of them is better than one under and all have less than two holes to play.
Golfers warned of further sanctions if they continue to play in LIV breakaway
The DP World Tour has issued fines of £100,000 and tournament bans to its members who played in the inaugural LIV Golf event earlier this month
DP World Tour hits members who played inaugural LIV series with £100,000 fines
They have also been banned from several forthcoming tournaments including the Scottish Open.
Rory McIlroy not impressed as Brooks Koepka becomes latest big name to join LIV
The world number two labelled the players who have joined the new series as “duplicitous” for the way they have handled their breakaway.
R&A confirms LIV Golf Series players will be allowed to compete at Open
The 150th Open Championship will get underway at St Andrews in three weeks’ time.
Matt Fitzpatrick turns to other major winners for advice on dealing with fame
Fitzpatrick won the US Open on Sunday.
Brooks Koepka set to join Saudi-backed LIV Golf Invitational Series
Koepka’s brother Chase played in the opening event at Centurion Club earlier this month.
Gary Player urges Matt Fitzpatrick to avoid ‘poison’ of modern-day coaching
Player tells US Open champion Fitzpatrick to learn from mistakes of recent major winners, saying: “The teaching today is the worst it has ever been.”
Matt Fitzpatrick’s caddie Billy Foster ready for ‘long party’ after US Open win
Foster won his first major after a 40-year career which includes spells working for the likes of Seve Ballesteros, Lee Westwood and Darren Clarke.
Matt Fitzpatrick backed to become a dominant force after winning first major
The Englishman claimed his first major title at Brookline.
Matt Fitzpatrick: A Blade with plenty of support who can really cut it
The Sheffield golfer landed his first major – and first professional win in America – at Brookline on Sunday.