Tiger Woods says his injury troubles are a thing of the past as he arrived at TPC Sawgrass for the Players Championship on Monday.
Woods appeared to be in fine spirits as he chatted to Golfweek journalist Steve DiMeglio, assuring him that “everything is good” after he spent “a few weeks” battling with a neck strain.
The injury forced him to withdraw from last week’s Arnold Palmer Invitational, but Woods is confident he won’t have any problems at Sawgrass or at the Masters in a little over four weeks’ time.
— PGA TOUR (@PGATOUR) March 11, 2019
“I feel good,” said Woods before heading to the range. “Everything is good, I feel good, I just needed last week off.
“I didn’t want to push it. No need to, not at my age. I can’t do that anymore.”
Woods said the neck strain first surfaced at the WGC-Mexico Championship, where he played through the pain to finish tied-10th.
The 43-year-old had to undergo intense treatment twice a day at the Club de Golf Chapultepec and wore medical tape to alleviate the problem.
“I could feel it in Mexico,” Woods added. “It wasn’t fun. I couldn’t make a backswing, I couldn’t make a follow through, and I couldn’t make a complete swing.”
Woods will play alongside defending champion Webb Simpson and reigning Masters champion Patrick Reed for the opening two rounds of The Players Championship.
Rory McIlroy looks set to end a run of three missed cuts in the US Open after opening with a rock-solid 68 at Pebble Beach on Thursday.
Brooks Koepka’s chances of a historic third straight US Open title are still alive after he ended the first round just four shots back.
Tiger Woods was happy to salvage a one-under-par 70 in tricky conditions on the opening day of the US Open at Pebble Beach.
Justin Rose equalled the lowest US Open round ever shot at Pebble Beach, a six-under 65, to take a one-shot lead after the opening round.
The United States Golf Association admits that it can’t afford a repeat of past mishaps at this week’s US Open at Pebble Beach.
Brooks Koepka hardly needed any further motivation ahead of his US Open defence this week, but he just got it anyway.
Rory McIlroy doesn’t want to be behind the eightball after the first round of a major championship again at Pebble Beach this week.