Woods to skip WGC Match Play
The WGC Match Play Championship has suffered another blow with Tiger Woods confirming he will sit out the event.
World number two Adam Scott, fourth-ranked Phil Mickelson and US Open champion Justin Rose had already announced that they will miss the tournament and Woods’ absence have left Arizona organisers with few star attractions.
Three-time WGC Match Play champion Woods had previously indicated that he might miss the event as he was set to watch his girlfriend Lindsey Vonn at the Sochi Winter Games.
However, with Vonn out injured it was suggested he could play after all, but he will now take some time off instead.
“I had planned to take that week off and travel with Lindsey to Sochi, but unfortunately that won’t happen,” Woods, who has good odds with Paddy Power to win at least one major in 2014, said.
“Instead, I’ll stay home and prepare for the Florida tournaments.”
The world number one also revealed that he’ll play in the Honda Classic in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, from February 27-March 2, the WGC-Cadillac Championship in Miami the following weekend and the Arnold Palmer Invitational at Bay Hill in Orlando from March 20-23.
“The Honda Classic is close to my home, and I want to support it whenever I can,” said the American, who will no doubt be favourite to win those tournaments and you can bet on this and more at Paddy Power.
“We have a Learning Center at Murray Middle School in Stuart, Florida, and this event does so much to help the community, including the efforts of the Nicklaus Children’s Health Care Foundation.”
He added: “I’m also excited about spending time with Arnold and defending my title at his tournament and the WGC-Cadillac. I’m looking forward to seeing what they’ve done at Doral.”
Collin Morikawa keen to draw inspiration from family ties to Hawaii at Sony Open
Venezuela’s Jhonattan Vegas has withdrawn from the event after testing positive for coronavirus.
R&A: ‘No plans’ for Open to head to Donald Trump-owned Turnberry in near future
Trump National in Bedminster was on Sunday stripped of next year’s US PGA Championship.
US PGA Championship moved from Donald Trump-owned course in New Jersey
Trump National in Bedminster had been set to host the event.
Justin Thomas : ‘I made a terrible, terrible judgement call’
Thomas admitted he was distracted by what happened on Saturday during his final round.
PGA Championship to be moved away from Donald Trump-owned course
‘It’s inexcusable’ – Justin Thomas apologises for homophobic slur in Hawaii
The world number three was heard using the derogatory word towards himself after missing a par putt.
Westwood, McDowell back petition to allow English golf courses to open
The duo have added their names to a petition that has passed 100 000 signatures.
Xander Schauffele pledges to ‘fake it until I make it’ after contracting Covid
After years with TaylorMade, Jon Rahm joins Callaway
Spaniard will have Callaway woods and irons in his bag at Sentry Tournament of Champions.
What to expect from the 2021 OMEGA Dubai Desert Classic