Woods: Rio will be spectacular
Tiger Woods has said the Olympic golf tournament will still be spectacular despite the absence of a number of the world’s top players.
Woods made the comments ahead of the Quicken Loans National in Maryland just hours after four-time major winner Rory McIlroy announced he was pulling out of Rio because of concerns about the Zika virus.
The sport is set to return to the Olympics in Brazil after a 112-year absence.
McIlroy joins a growing list of players to pull out of the tournament over concerns about the mosquito-borne illness.
World number eight Adam Scott, South Africans Charl Schwartzel and Louis Oosterhuizen and Fiji’s Vijay Singh have already said they will not play in Rio.
Jason Day, Jordan Spieth and Rickie Fowler have yet to commit, saying they are looking into the situation.
Despite the pull outs, Woods says the Olympic golf event will still be a success.
“It will be a spectacular event just because it’s the Olympics,” he said. “It would be better if we had a more top-heavy field.”
He added that a top-50 line up would have been preferable, but he understands why the organisers have opted to let lesser known countries send athletes.
“I know they have to try to have each country participate, but I just wish they would have had more quality of a field similar to what we face in major championships or the World Golf Championships or the Players,” Woods said.
“I think the Olympics deserve that,” he added.
Woods said that he understood the reasoning behind the selection criteria as it would give more nations the chance to compete and help to grow the sport.
“To have players that aren’t ranked very high still being able to compete in the Olympics, I think it’s great for Brazil,” he said.
Olympic golf teams will be chosen based on the world rankings two weeks from Monday. The system will mean only 20 of the current world top 50 will compete in Rio.
Rory McIlroy not impressed as Brooks Koepka becomes latest big name to join LIV
The world number two labelled the players who have joined the new series as “duplicitous” for the way they have handled their breakaway.
R&A confirms LIV Golf Series players will be allowed to compete at Open
The 150th Open Championship will get underway at St Andrews in three weeks’ time.
Matt Fitzpatrick turns to other major winners for advice on dealing with fame
Fitzpatrick won the US Open on Sunday.
Brooks Koepka set to join Saudi-backed LIV Golf Invitational Series
Koepka’s brother Chase played in the opening event at Centurion Club earlier this month.
Gary Player urges Matt Fitzpatrick to avoid ‘poison’ of modern-day coaching
Player tells US Open champion Fitzpatrick to learn from mistakes of recent major winners, saying: “The teaching today is the worst it has ever been.”
Matt Fitzpatrick’s caddie Billy Foster ready for ‘long party’ after US Open win
Foster won his first major after a 40-year career which includes spells working for the likes of Seve Ballesteros, Lee Westwood and Darren Clarke.
Matt Fitzpatrick backed to become a dominant force after winning first major
The Englishman claimed his first major title at Brookline.
Matt Fitzpatrick: A Blade with plenty of support who can really cut it
The Sheffield golfer landed his first major – and first professional win in America – at Brookline on Sunday.
Mixed emotions for Rory McIlroy after US Open disappointment
McIlroy finished joint fifth at Brookline.
Golfing world and beyond react to Matt Fitzpatrick’s US Open victory
The 27-year-old held off Will Zalatoris and world number one Scottie Scheffler to win by one stroke at Brookline.