WGC to change format
TPC Harding Park in San Francisco will host a revamped WGC-Match Play Championship next year.
So often in the past, top players make early exits in the World Golf Championships. However, organisers are taking a page out of the FIFA World Cup playbook and will now arrange players into groups.
Traditionally, we have seen the tennis style draw where the top player takes on the lowest seeded player, and so forth throughout the draw. The San Francisco event will be a trial run for the group stage event.
“We’re going to do it differently next year,” said Tim Finchem, the PGA Tour commissioner.
“It’s going to be a World Cup-type format. It’s kind of nice that we’re able to talk about that in the context of everybody in the United States being riveted to that format over the last month in Brazil where we’ll be playing golf in the Olympics for the first time in 2016.
“The 64 players will be broken down into groups of four: 16 groups of four, and then on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, they’ll all play each other.
“And then we’ll cut to the top 16 players out of that to play to 16, eight, four and two on the weekend.”
Finchem revealed that the new format should see the top players, who everyone wants to watch, going deeper in to the tournament as well as providing more golf for spectators.
“It’s a lot more golf,” he added.
“There are going to be 96 matches for fans here to go out and watch on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Secondly, over time, the best players rise to the top so we think that’ll be positive as it goes into the weekend.
“Third, if you’re a Steve Stricker fan or a Bubba Watson fan or a Tiger Woods fan, you’re going to be able to follow your favourite player for three days hoping that he makes it into the round of 16.
“It’s a new direction for the Match Play for sure but one that’s going to create a lot more enthusiasm and excitement.”
Billy Horschel accuses LIV Golf players of being ‘hypocrites and liars’
Horschel made an impassioned defence of the PGA Tour and DP World Tour ahead of the co-sanctioned Genesis Scottish Open.
Ian Poulter among three LIV Golf Series players to get Scottish Open reprieve
Poulter, Adrian Otaegui and Justin Harding have had their suspensions temporarily stayed.
Graeme McDowell shocked by people wishing him dead since switching to LIV Golf
The 2010 US Open champion acknowledged his switch to LIV was “about the money”.
JT Poston completes wire-to-wire victory at John Deere Classic
England’s Callum Tarren bogeyed two of his last four holes en route to a one-under 70 as he was forced to settle for equal-sixth place.
Adrian Meronk makes history for Poland as David Law celebrates Open berth
Meronk’s flying finish made him his country’s first winner on the DP World Tour.
Paul Casey becomes latest player to join LIV Golf series
He opted out of the inaugural Saudi International on the European Tour in 2019 citing concerns over the country’s human rights record.
Adrian Meronk has the edge as he aims to make Tour history for Poland
A third round of 68 at Mount Juliet means a one-shot advantage on a crowded leaderboard.
Shane Lowry birdies last four holes to make Irish Open cut
Jorge Campillo tops the leaderboard at the midway point.
Keith Pelley hits back at 16 players threatening DP World Tour with legal action
Pelley says the sanctions against players who competed in the first LIV Golf event are ‘proportionate’ and ‘fair’.
JT Poston takes two-shot lead at John Deere Classic
The 29-year-old also became the first player on record to open consecutive Tour events with 62 or better.