Watson to play at St Andrews
Tom Watson will play at the 2015 British Open at St Andrews after he was given an exemption.
The event will mark the 40th anniversary of his first appearance and victory at the Major. The 64-year-old was presented with a special silver player’s badge that depicts his five Open victories, the first of which was in 1975.
“Tom is the most successful Open champion still playing today and has made a huge contribution to the championship over the last 40 years,” said Peter Dawson, chief executive of the Royal and Ancient.
“His performances in winning the Open on five occasions were truly outstanding and to come so close to winning a sixth championship in 2009 demonstrates his longevity in the sport. We are delighted that he will be able to play in the Open next year.”
In 2009, at the tender age 59, Watson tied for the lead with fellow America Stewart Cink and ultimately lost in a playoff. He would have been the oldest Major winner.
“Some of my finest memories in golf have come from playing in the Open Championship,” said the eight time major winner.
“I am very proud and honoured to be given this opportunity to play once again in St Andrews next year. It is a special place for everyone in golf. I appreciate more than you will know the extension of the exemption,” he said about being invited to play at St. Andrews.
“There’s something very special about me being able to finish out my British Open career, unless I play and finish in the top 10 (at Hoylake in two weeks time) and have the opportunity to play more Open championships.
“If not, (St. Andrews) is the place I want to finish my career playing the Open championships, 40 years from the first time I played.”
Collin Morikawa keen to draw inspiration from family ties to Hawaii at Sony Open
Venezuela’s Jhonattan Vegas has withdrawn from the event after testing positive for coronavirus.
R&A: ‘No plans’ for Open to head to Donald Trump-owned Turnberry in near future
Trump National in Bedminster was on Sunday stripped of next year’s US PGA Championship.
US PGA Championship moved from Donald Trump-owned course in New Jersey
Trump National in Bedminster had been set to host the event.
Justin Thomas : ‘I made a terrible, terrible judgement call’
Thomas admitted he was distracted by what happened on Saturday during his final round.
PGA Championship to be moved away from Donald Trump-owned course
It is the second time in six years the PGA has moved an event away from a course owned by Donald Trump.
‘It’s inexcusable’ – Justin Thomas apologises for homophobic slur in Hawaii
The world number three was heard using the derogatory word towards himself after missing a par putt.
Westwood, McDowell back petition to allow English golf courses to open
The duo have added their names to a petition that has passed 100 000 signatures.
Xander Schauffele pledges to ‘fake it until I make it’ after contracting Covid
Schauffele is one of 16 players in the Sentry Tournament of Champions who failed to win an official event last season.
After years with TaylorMade, Jon Rahm joins Callaway
Spaniard will have Callaway woods and irons in his bag at Sentry Tournament of Champions.
What to expect from the 2021 OMEGA Dubai Desert Classic
There are more prestigious events on the European Tour, but there’s no denying that the Dubai Desert Classic just has something about it.