Watching the Masters
Ahead of The Masters beginning on Thursday 6th April, specialist golf insurers Golf Care have surveyed over 4,000 British golfers to reveal the nation’s habits and behaviours during The Masters weekend – and there are some revealing findings.
What Channel do golfers prefer to watch The Masters?
– Sky Sports is the most popular choice for watching The Masters with 59% of fans tuning in compared to just 29% watching highlights on the BBC.
– 52% of those who watch BBC highlights are aged 34-55
– 25% of females have watched The Masters more than 20 times compared to 44% of men
– Watching the Masters on Saturday & Sunday are the most popular days to watch35% in comparison to those who watch all days 31% and only 6% watch the par 3 contest on Wednesday
How many golfers would consider going to watch The Masters live?
– BBC viewers are 20% less likely to want to see The Masters live
– Sky Sports viewers are 12% more likely to want to see The Masters live
93% would like to watch The Masters live
What are golfers’ most memorable Masters moments?
– Tiger Woods’ chip on the 16th in 2005 is the most memorable moment from The Masters
– 54% of male golfers prefer the Tiger Woods’ chip on the 16th compared to 82% of female golfers who prefer the moment Danny Willet won The Masters last year
– Tiger Woods chip on the 16th is most popular amongst 18 to 34 year olds in comparison to Nick Faldo’s 1996 comeback being the over 55’s greatest moment
– 33% of Scottish golfers prefer Sandy Lyle winning as their most memorable moment
Other key findings
– Most people (59%) prefer to watch the action alone compared to almost a fifth (19%) who watch with their partner
– 65% of men are more likely to take a day off work to catch up on the action from Augusta
– 74% of golfers are likely to go out and play golf on the weekend of The Masters
– 43% are likely to gamble on golf and men are more than twice as likely to gamble on golf in comparison to women
– Nearly three quarters of golfers (73%) would rather win The Open than The Masters if they were a professional golfer
– Saturday and Sunday are the most popular days for viewing with 35% watching just the weekend action in comparison to those who watch across the whole tournament (31%)
– 42% of the UK want Rory McIlroy to win, making him the nation’s favourite in comparison to John Rahm who is the least favourite.
– The Masters is a firm favourite as 42% of golfers have previously watched the tournament 20 times or more
– Justin Rose and Lee Westwood are most popular with golfers aged over 35 compared to Dustin Johnson and Henrick Stenson who are most popular with the younger crowd of 18 to 24 year olds
Are the TaylorMade P790 Irons at the head of the class?
TaylorMade have crafted something special in the P790s.
What was in the bag for Srixon staffer Hideki Matsuyama’s title win at Genesis Invitational
Hideki Matsuyama was dialled in during an incredible final round.
What you need to know about the new Wilson Dynapower forged irons
Find out if the new Wilson Dynapower forged irons are for you.
WATCH: Golf course maintenance crew lose control of cart and drive it off bridge
Out of control maintenance men can be a curse.
PING refresh PLD Milled putters – and the standards are as high as ever
There is nothing about the 2024 PING PLD Milled putters that is really surprising but the range lives up to the name.
Tiger Woods makes rare wood change in adjusted 2024 bag
Tiger Woods makes a big change.
11 of Texas’ best exclusive golf courses that you’ll probably never play
Texas has a fine selection of private golf courses worth adding to your bucket list.
WATCH: Wife makes no attempt to hide laugher watching husband mishit golf shot
If you can’t laugh at yourself on the golf course bring your wife along.
WATCH: Golfer struggles to get down the green in treacherous wind and rain
What does it take to get you off the golf course?
The 7 best balls for low swing speed golfers to get more distance
Get more distance with these balls.