Spieth moves into contention
Jordan Spieth carded a nine-under-par 63 in the third round of the WGC-HSBC Champions to move into contention for the title in Shanghai.
After the start of play at Sheshan International was delayed by 30 minutes due to the threat of lightning, only 40 minutes of play was possible before the players were called off the course.
Upon their resumption, Spieth was soon able to make inroads into his 10-shot deficit to halfway leader Kevin Kisner, notching four birdies in his first eight holes to turn in 32.
Spieth will regain the world number one ranking from the absent Jason Day should he finish in the top 13 this week, and gave himself an excellent chance to do just that with an impressive performance on the back nine.
Birdies at 10, 13, 14 and 15 saw him move up the leaderboard rapidly and even though he missed his 15-foot putt for eagle on the last hole, he left himself with a tap-in to compete the best round of the day in Shanghai, which saw him move into a tie for fifth, three shots behind Kisner.
"I've struggled to shoot lower than two or three under on this golf course in the past couple years, but today was the day to do it," Spieth said. "Ball in hand, very little wind and some gettable pins.
"I'm obviously very pleased with the round and getting actually back into contention. At the start of the day I was just trying to have a consistent weekend to kind of get in the rhythm of the season.
"For whatever reason (on Friday), I put some higher expectations (on myself) than what I'd said coming into this week. I shot four under the first day, figured maybe I could do that again. Yesterday's conditions were tough and I lost a few shots because of it.
"(On Saturday) I came out knowing that it was a gettable golf course. I missed four putts inside eight feet – I'm not going to complain about the round but I felt like the way I played could have been 10 or 11 (under), for sure."
Golfers warned of further sanctions if they continue to play in LIV breakaway
The DP World Tour has issued fines of £100,000 and tournament bans to its members who played in the inaugural LIV Golf event earlier this month
DP World Tour hits members who played inaugural LIV series with £100,000 fines
They have also been banned from several forthcoming tournaments including the Scottish Open.
Rory McIlroy not impressed as Brooks Koepka becomes latest big name to join LIV
The world number two labelled the players who have joined the new series as “duplicitous” for the way they have handled their breakaway.
R&A confirms LIV Golf Series players will be allowed to compete at Open
The 150th Open Championship will get underway at St Andrews in three weeks’ time.
Matt Fitzpatrick turns to other major winners for advice on dealing with fame
Fitzpatrick won the US Open on Sunday.
Brooks Koepka set to join Saudi-backed LIV Golf Invitational Series
Koepka’s brother Chase played in the opening event at Centurion Club earlier this month.
Gary Player urges Matt Fitzpatrick to avoid ‘poison’ of modern-day coaching
Player tells US Open champion Fitzpatrick to learn from mistakes of recent major winners, saying: “The teaching today is the worst it has ever been.”
Matt Fitzpatrick’s caddie Billy Foster ready for ‘long party’ after US Open win
Foster won his first major after a 40-year career which includes spells working for the likes of Seve Ballesteros, Lee Westwood and Darren Clarke.
Matt Fitzpatrick backed to become a dominant force after winning first major
The Englishman claimed his first major title at Brookline.
Matt Fitzpatrick: A Blade with plenty of support who can really cut it
The Sheffield golfer landed his first major – and first professional win in America – at Brookline on Sunday.