Scott still well off the pace

Home

Local favourite Adam Scott is six shots off the pace at the Australian Masters following a round of 68 at the Metropolitan Golf Club on Friday.

Scott was not the only player to go four-under-par in the second round as tournament leader Michael Wright moved up to nine-under overall with his superb round which saw him take a two stroke lead over fellow Australian Paul Spargo.

Wright spoke with confidence about his ambitions for the weekend and needed no reminder that the defending champion is hot on his heels.

“I’m not concerned what he’s (Scott) doing,” Wright said.

“Obviously he’s a fantastic player and I would expect him to play well over the weekend, but I expect myself to play well, too.”

Meanwhile Scott’s playing partner, Geoff Ogilvy, is five off the pace after carding a 71 and Americans Kyle Stanley (- 2) Boo Weekly (even par) and Zac Blair (+1) made the cut.

Scott started well as he birdied three of four holes on the front nine, but was disappointed with his approach shots on the back nine.

“There were some positive signs early, some putts went in on the front, and I feel like I created some chances,” Scott said.

“It was a bit slow on the back nine, I was disappointed. I have been working on a few things with the wedges, and I may have more work to do.”

As dissatisfied as he was with his short game, Scott on Friday also received more news that he would not have liked as Golf Australia championship director Trevor Herden confirmed that he would not be paired with No. 1 Rory McIlroy over the first two rounds of the Australian Open next week at The Australian in Sydney.

McIlroy birdied the 18th hole at Royal Sydney last year to win the title and prevent No. 2 Scott from winning the so-called Australian “Triple Crown” – the Masters, PGA and Open.

Latest