Johnson won’t defend title in China

Home

Dustin Johnson will not defend his WGC-HSBC Champions title in Shanghai next week, his agent has confirmed.

The American has been on a leave of absence from the game since July 31, saying at the time that he was leaving to address “personal problems”.

“By committing the time and resources necessary to improve my mental health, physical well-being and emotional foundation, I am confident that I will be better equipped to fulfill my potential and become a consistent champion,” he said in a statement at the time.

Reports surfaced suggesting that Johnson had been suspended by the PGA Tour for a failed drug test, though the PGA Tour denied it.

In late September, Jonhson announced that he and fiancee Paulina Gretzky were expecting their first child.

And his agent, David Winkle, has now said that Johnson is unlikely to return to the PGA Tour unti the birth of his child.

“He will likely not return to action until after the baby arrives,” Winkle toldf ESPN. “In the meantime, he is doing great and is very excited about becoming a father.”

Latest