Bubba Watson empathises with Naomi Osaka as US Open challenge gathers pace
When Naomi Osaka withdrew from the French Open tennis tournament at the end of May, any connection with golf’s US Open would have seemed tenuous at best.
Yet of all the sports stars asked in the following days about Osaka’s situation, few were better placed to offer an opinion than Bubba Watson, who went into Saturday’s third round at Torrey Pines just two shots off the lead.
Osaka said she had suffered bouts of depression since winning her first slam title at the US Open in 2018, when she lifted the trophy to a chorus of boos after opponent Serena Williams was awarded a game penalty, and that talking to the media triggered anxiety.
“I get really nervous and find it stressful to always try and engage and give [the media] the best answers I can,” Osaka wrote in a statement released on social media on May 31.
Two days later, two-time Masters champion Watson could empathise as he gave a virtual press conference ahead of the Memorial Tournament at Muirfield Village.
“I can sit here and draw up a whole story for you,” Watson said. “I’m sitting in a room right now with cameras looking at me. I don’t like enclosed places. I don’t like elevators. I don’t like heights.
“I mean, there’s a lot of things that trigger a lot of my mental issues.”
Watson has spoken openly about having Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and anxiety issues and was keen to offer his advice to compatriot Matthew Wolff on his return to action at Torrey Pines following a two-month hiatus.
“I was just sharing my own issues and struggles,” Watson said of their practice round. “Not that he wanted to hear it. He didn’t ask for my advice.
“I’ve wasted money, I’ve saved money, I’ve bought businesses, sold businesses. I’ve lost 20, 30 pounds because of struggles. I said, ‘I’ve done everything you’re thinking about, I’ve done it all’. So I said, ‘so if you ever want advice, just call me’.
“It’s probably more helpful to me than him just because I can hear it again in my own head, me saying it out loud.”
It may also have been helpful to Wolff, who carded rounds of 70 and 68 in his first appearance since being disqualified from the Masters to lie a shot better off than Watson on four under par, a stroke behind leaders Richard Bland and Russell Henley.
Wolff held the 54-hole lead in September’s US Open at Winged Foot before finishing second to Bryson DeChambeau, but on his last visit to Torrey Pines – for January’s Farmers Insurance Open – he shot 78 in the first round before withdrawing, citing a hand injury.
A month later he shot an opening 83 in the WGC-Workday Championship before withdrawing, while he was about to miss the cut at Augusta National in April before signing an incorrect scorecard.
The 22-year-old opted to skip last month’s US PGA Championship and opted to return at the US Open as he figured that shooting a 78 in golf’s toughest major would not attract so much attention.
“It’s all (about) managing the fear, ” Wolff said after his second round.
“What’s probably the worst thing that could happen? I could miss the cut? That’s really the worst thing that could happen, but your brain makes you think that you hit a bad shot and like the world’s over or you’re going to physically get hurt or something.
“I’ll admit, even after playing well yesterday, I was still like I wanted to stay in bed. I wanted to be like where I was comfortable, not in the spotlight.
“It’s awesome that I came out here and played well, but I think more importantly I’m just getting closer to being more comfortable and being happy and enjoying it.
“I feel like I’ve done a very good job of enjoying it, but I’ve still got a long way to go to keep a level head. I’ll probably be working on the same thing that I’m working on now for the rest of my career.”
Golfers warned of further sanctions if they continue to play in LIV breakaway
The DP World Tour has issued fines of £100,000 and tournament bans to its members who played in the inaugural LIV Golf event earlier this month
DP World Tour hits members who played inaugural LIV series with £100,000 fines
They have also been banned from several forthcoming tournaments including the Scottish Open.
Rory McIlroy not impressed as Brooks Koepka becomes latest big name to join LIV
The world number two labelled the players who have joined the new series as “duplicitous” for the way they have handled their breakaway.
R&A confirms LIV Golf Series players will be allowed to compete at Open
The 150th Open Championship will get underway at St Andrews in three weeks’ time.
Matt Fitzpatrick turns to other major winners for advice on dealing with fame
Fitzpatrick won the US Open on Sunday.
Brooks Koepka set to join Saudi-backed LIV Golf Invitational Series
Koepka’s brother Chase played in the opening event at Centurion Club earlier this month.
Gary Player urges Matt Fitzpatrick to avoid ‘poison’ of modern-day coaching
Player tells US Open champion Fitzpatrick to learn from mistakes of recent major winners, saying: “The teaching today is the worst it has ever been.”
Matt Fitzpatrick’s caddie Billy Foster ready for ‘long party’ after US Open win
Foster won his first major after a 40-year career which includes spells working for the likes of Seve Ballesteros, Lee Westwood and Darren Clarke.
Matt Fitzpatrick backed to become a dominant force after winning first major
The Englishman claimed his first major title at Brookline.
Matt Fitzpatrick: A Blade with plenty of support who can really cut it
The Sheffield golfer landed his first major – and first professional win in America – at Brookline on Sunday.