Triumphant Schwartzel takes a break
Seve Ballesteros is the last player to win three consecutive European Tour events – and will stay that way.
Seve Ballesteros is the last player to win three consecutive European Tour events – and it will that that way after Charl Schwartzel’s decision to pull out of this week’s Abu Dhabi Championship.
The 25-year-old South African feels the need to rest for a week after a memorable Africa Open and Joburg Open double in his home country.
His next tournament will now be next week’s Qatar Masters – and there he will be trying to become the first player since Tiger Woods in 2006 to triumph in three successive starts.
Twenty under par in East London, Schwartzel was an even more impressive 23 under as he romped to a six-stroke victory over compatriot Keith Horne and Northern Ireland’s Darren Clarke at Royal Johannesburg and Kensington yesterday.
As well as opening up a £268,000 lead at the top of the Tour’s ‘Race to Dubai’ money list – most of the big guns return this week from their winter break – he has improved on his previous best of 40th to 35th place in the world rankings and a debut in the Masters at Augusta in April should now follow.
And while he moves up 16 places Clarke’s joint second place has put him back into the world’s top 100 at 95th.
The world’s top 50 a week before the opening major of the season all qualify, and Schwartzel said: “I’m very excited about that.”
His margin of victory equalled the biggest of last season, and he added: “It’s been a fantastic two weeks for me. I played good last week and it definitely carried over.
“I played pretty much flawless golf and I don’t know what it comes down to – maybe a good positive frame of mind after you hit a bad shot.”
Four behind at the start of a round brought forward because of the threat of further storms, Clarke could easily have closed the gap to one on the long sixth but missed from six feet after Schwartzel had made a 25-footer.
The Ryder Cup star then three-putted the next and there looked only one winner after that but a closing chip-in eagle earned 40-year-old Clarke more than £107,000 and an equivalent number of cup points.
For the record, Ballesteros’ hat-trick of wins came in 1986 at the Irish, Monte Carlo and French Opens – and he hads also won on his previous start to those three.
Injury rules Open champion Cameron Smith out of BMW Championship
The Australian world number two currently sits third in the FedEx Cup standings, 1,132 points behind leader Will Zalatoris.
Will Zalatoris triumphs in dramatic playoff to claim first PGA Tour win
The American defeated Austria’s Sepp Straka in three extra holes at TPC Southwind – despite not making a birdie.
Ewen Ferguson seals wire-to-wire victory at ISPS Handa World Invitational
The 26-year-old Scot also won the Qatar Masters in March.
New Ryder Cup captain Luke Donald motivated by ‘bitter’ memories of 2021 defeat
Stenson was stripped of the role for breaking his contract by joining the Saudi-backed LIV Golf series.
The task facing Luke Donald after replacing Henrik Stenson
Stenson was appointed on March 15 and said he was fully committed to a role before signing with the Saudi-backed LIV Golf series.
Tony Finau claims second straight PGA Tour victory
The American won the 3M Open in his previous outing.
Henrik Stenson cushions Ryder Cup blow with £3.6m debut win in LIV Golf
The Swede was stripped of his role as Europe captain after joining the Saudi-backed breakaway tour.
Former Masters champion Bubba Watson becomes latest player to join LIV Golf
The left-hander is currently sidelined by a knee injury and is not expected to play until next season,
Luke Donald tipped to replace Henrik Stenson as Europe’s Ryder Cup captain
The Swede lost the job 127 days after his appointment following his decision to join the LIV Golf series.