TPC Southwind, where this week’s Fedex St Jude Classic is to be played, opened in March 1988.
TPC Southwind, where this week’s US PGA Tour event, the FedEx St Jude Classic, is to be played, opened as a private member’s golf club in March 1988.
The Club boasts an excellent pro shop that carries a wide range of the best equipment and apparel, offers top-of-the line practice and teaching facilities, runs an electric golf car fleet, and operates out of a 28,000 square foot Clubhouse that houses an a la carte restaurant and private meeting and banquet facilities.
But perhaps more important is the fact that its par-70, 7,244-yard championship layout , designed by Ron Prichard with PGA Tour players Hubert Green and Fuzzy Zoeller as his consultants, is one of the USA’s most highly-rated TPC tracks.
In 2012, TPC Southwind, which Combines 240 acres of southeast Memphis countryside with natural lakes and streams, was ranked No. 23 in Golf World magazine’s Exclusive PGA Tour Course Rankings and over the years has long been rated one of the more challenging courses on the PGA Tour schedule.
However, its five sets of tees, including a family-friendly option on each hole, gives golfers of all abilities the chance to enjoy TPC Southwind.
The course has been home to the St Jude Classic since 1989.
Played in the week prior to the US Open, it offers the tour’s best players an ideal warm-up opportunity on a challenging course.
The course record stands at 61 and was first set in 1993 during the St Jude Championship by Jay Delsing. It was later matched by Bob Estes in 2001.
The golf course features undulating zoysia fairways, champion Bermuda greens and numerous lakes, streams and ponds. And adding to its charm are two grain silos and a windmill, remnants of the dairy farm once located on the site.
Its 231 yard 14th hole ranks as one of the toughest par-3 holes on the US PGA Tour.
It requires a long iron, utility club or a fairway metal wood tee shot to reach a narrow green protected by water along it’s entire right side.
The green itself is also very challenging with a large undulation in the middle.
The 461 yard par-4 18th hole provides a spectacular finish to any round of golf.
The tee shot must be played alongside a water hazard that protects the entire left side of the fairway. This same hazard then continues to the left of the green and causes any golfer to think twice before aiming their approach shot at the flag stick.
TPC Gold Tees
TOUR OF THE COURSE
To go to the Course Flyover on the official website of TPC Southwind, click here
TPC Southwind has been recognized as an environmental leader in golf since 2003.
It is irrigated from two 10-acre lakes on the property that are recharged by storm water runoff from residential and commercial properties, parking lots and streets. A variety of aquatic plants have been added to the lakes over the past few years to consume nutrient input from the runoff.
Turfgrass buffers around the lakes, in addition to the aquatic plantings, have provided good filtration and reducing the need for aquatic pesticide application.
Fish, including tilapia and grass carp, have been stocked in the lakes to reduce the need for algaecides and maintain good water quality. In periods of prolonged drought, the system is supplemented with well water.
To maximize efficient use of irrigation, watering cycles for the course are based on evapotranspiration rates collected via an on-site weather station which daily monitors the soil moisture, soil infiltration rates, terrain and precipitation.
The course’s greens are maintained preventively for disease control in the summer months with the turf maintenance team scouting daily for damage, treating for insects only when needed.
– The Club has a high-quality driving range with target greens, as well as practice facilities for putting, chipping and bunker play.
– PGA Teaching staff offer individual tuition and group lessons via the club’s clinics and golf school
– Full service locker rooms.
– Electric golf car fleet.
– A 28,000 square foot Clubhouse with a la carte dining, as well as private meeting and banquet facilities.
– A Pro-shop offering a wide range of leading golf brands to both individual and corporate buyers. It also provides a club fitting and grip repair service.
– Group events and tournament management services.
There are three membership programs structured to match a variety of entertaining levels.They include:
– Junior Memberships available up to age 40;
– Charter and Regular Memberships for the avid golfer;
– Single and Multi-Corporate Memberships for executive and client entertainment.
Members of the Club enjoy both the camaraderie of Member play with a full season of tournaments and instruction programs. In addition to complimentary greens fees and the practice facility use, full golfing members can enjoy golf year-round at the more than 25 TPC Network Facilities located across the country.
Here are a few things that will help you to enjoy your round if you are visiting TPC Southwind for the first time:
– Proper attire: A collared shirt and slacks for gentlemen and blouse and slacks for women, and non metal spikes for all footwear. Bermuda length shorts are also permissible. Men are asked to remove head wear while in the clubhouse. Denim of any kind; T-shirts; flip flops; and exercise, running, bathing, and/or tennis attire are not appropriate forms of dress.
– On Arrival: Drive to the bag drop area. An attendant will confirm your tee time and place your golf bags) on a golf cart. Park your vehicle and then proceed to the Pro Shop counter to check in. You will be given a receipt for the starter at the first
– Golf Club Rentals: The Club carries Titleist rental clubs. Each set is comprised of a Titleist 975J Driver, 975F Fairway Woods, Titleist 762 Irons, Vokey Sand Wedges, and Scotty Cameron Putters. Men’s right-handed rental sets are available in regular or stiff shaft flex while left-handed and ladies clubs are offered with regular flex only. Each rental set comes with a complimentary 4-ball pack of Titleist NXT golf balls.Rental sets may be reserved in advance
– Day lockers are available without charge. The locker room attendant can also assist you with other valet services such as shoe shine and changing your spikes.
– The practice facility will have hitting stations pre-set with practice balls for your convenience. You will also have access to the short game practice facility and the putting green immediately before and after your scheduled round
Collin Morikawa keen to draw inspiration from family ties to Hawaii at Sony Open
Venezuela’s Jhonattan Vegas has withdrawn from the event after testing positive for coronavirus.
R&A: ‘No plans’ for Open to head to Donald Trump-owned Turnberry in near future
Trump National in Bedminster was on Sunday stripped of next year’s US PGA Championship.
US PGA Championship moved from Donald Trump-owned course in New Jersey
Trump National in Bedminster had been set to host the event.
Justin Thomas : ‘I made a terrible, terrible judgement call’
Thomas admitted he was distracted by what happened on Saturday during his final round.
PGA Championship to be moved away from Donald Trump-owned course
It is the second time in six years the PGA has moved an event away from a course owned by Donald Trump.
‘It’s inexcusable’ – Justin Thomas apologises for homophobic slur in Hawaii
The world number three was heard using the derogatory word towards himself after missing a par putt.
Westwood, McDowell back petition to allow English golf courses to open
The duo have added their names to a petition that has passed 100 000 signatures.
Xander Schauffele pledges to ‘fake it until I make it’ after contracting Covid
Schauffele is one of 16 players in the Sentry Tournament of Champions who failed to win an official event last season.
After years with TaylorMade, Jon Rahm joins Callaway
Spaniard will have Callaway woods and irons in his bag at Sentry Tournament of Champions.
What to expect from the 2021 OMEGA Dubai Desert Classic
There are more prestigious events on the European Tour, but there’s no denying that the Dubai Desert Classic just has something about it.