Three-time lucky for Dustin?
Dustin Johnson, who last year qualified for membership of the 80-and-over Meltdown club, need not feel alone.
Dustin Johnson, who blew a three-shot lead in last year’s final round of the US Open to qualify for membership of the 80-and-over Meltdown club, need not feel alone.
Northern Ireland’s exciting Rory McIlroy did the same thing at the Masters at Augusta in April and before that yet another of US golf’s most exiting young guns of the present, Nick Watney, did the same thing at last year’s US PGA Championship at Whistling Straits.
And he wasn’t the only one who could and should have won at Whistling Straits.
Johnson was once again in the mix but this time missed out on a first major title when he mistook and bunker for rough, grounded his club in the bunker and the resulting penalty shots eventually cost him the championship.
On Wednesday, Johnson, one of the golf’s longest hitters whose game could be well suited to the ultra long Congressional Country Club course outside Washington, said he didn’t do too much wrong at Pebble Beach last year.
He kept his cool and never blew his top.
He made the right decisions most of the time and never got ahead of himself or got himself “lost in the moment or caught up in what it would feel like to win”.
But if anything set him back on the agonizing final day, he thinks it was almost certainly the fact that he became too fast.
“I really got fast, especially after making 7 there,” he said. “I really got fast with everything. I started walking a little faster, swinging faster, just going through my routine faster.”
And the faster he went, the quicker his chances evaporated.
His triple bogey at the second sparked an ugly stretch of three holes played at 6-over par.
It rubbed out the three-shot lead he had taken into the final round and put him firmly on the ruinious road to his 82.
“I learned a lot about myself, though,” he says, trying to take some positives out of his two implosions last year as he heads into this year’s US Open battle.
“Most of the guys out here, especially the really good ones, have all gone through the same thing. They’ve all done it. It’s a learning process that I think everybody is going to go through at least once in their career. So you can’t look at it as a bad thing.” the 26-year-old South Carolina native added
“I’m pretty sure I was done with it by Monday morning when I woke up.
“There was really nothing bad I could take from it other than it was definitely a learning curve. I definitely learned a lot from that round.”
Losses like that have been known to drag a player into long, career-wrecking slumps, slumps. Johnson was having none of it.
He admits he’ll never make the mistake of presuming that he was not in a bunker as happened at Whistling Straits.
“Everybody remembers the 18th hole,” he said, “what they forget is that I had birdied 16 and 17 to get a one shot lead going into 18.”
Johnson himself hasn’t forgotten. In fact he used his late charge as a spur to win the BMW CHampionship, the third event in the four FedEx play-off thrillers and eventually finished fourth in the FedEx Cup race and fourth on the US Money list for 2010
This year he’s had two top-3 finishes and hopes it will be a case of three-time luck at Congressional.
“Last year I had a chance to win and didn’t but hopefully this year I’ll have one again and this time grab it with both hands
Keith Pelley hits back at 16 players threatening DP World Tour with legal action
Pelley says the sanctions against players who competed in the first LIV Golf event are ‘proportionate’ and ‘fair’.
JT Poston takes two-shot lead at John Deere Classic
The 29-year-old also became the first player on record to open consecutive Tour events with 62 or better.
Ryan Fox surprised to be leading after opening round of Horizon Irish Open
The New Zealander carded a flawless 64 to set the pace at Mount Juliet.
Defiant Lee Westwood does not believe playing in LIV should harm Ryder Cup hopes
Westwood doesn’t agree with penalties and sanctions.
Shane Lowry welcomes closer ties between Tours in response to threat from LIV
The PGA Tour and DP World Tour announced the next phase of their strategic alliance.
Padraig Harrington fears LIV series poses threat to future of DP World Tour
The US Senior Open champion thinks there is only room for the PGA and one other tour in the world game.
Steve Stricker makes Padraig Harrington sweat as Irishman wins US Senior Open
The pair were rival captains in last year’s Ryder Cup in Wisconsin.
Golfers warned of further sanctions if they continue to play in LIV breakaway
The DP World Tour has issued fines of £100,000 and tournament bans to its members who played in the inaugural LIV Golf event earlier this month
DP World Tour hits members who played inaugural LIV series with £100,000 fines
They have also been banned from several forthcoming tournaments including the Scottish Open.
Rory McIlroy not impressed as Brooks Koepka becomes latest big name to join LIV
The world number two labelled the players who have joined the new series as “duplicitous” for the way they have handled their breakaway.