Senden in as injured Singh withdraws

Home

Australian John Senden is the latest player to win a place in the Open field following Tuesday’s withdrawal of Jeev Milka Singh.

The Indian star today (Tuesday) became the seventh player to pull out of The Open – 24 hours after saying he was “100%” certain to tee off in Thursday’s opening round.
Singh had hoped the torn intercostal muscle he suffered at the European Open at the end of May would not stop him playing.
But after practising, the 37-year-old decided that it was better to rest the injury and fully recover before next month’s final major, the PGA Championship.
Australian John Senden had flown from America overnight as first reserve and only had to wait a few hours after his arrival to be told he was in. Now American John Rollins is on stand-by.
The other six to withdraw were Phil Mickelson, Trevor Immelman, Robert Karlsson, Tim Wilkinson, Dudley Hart and Brett Quigley.
Singh said that on the morning after the European Open he woke up and thought “Oh my God – I’m having a tough time breathing.”
He somehow managed a sixth place finish in the Wales Open the following week, but after missing the cut at the US Open a scan confirmed the torn muscle.
Since then he has also missed the cut in the French and Scottish Opens.
“When I went out yesterday to play 18 holes, it was hurting,” he said.
“When I was taking deep breaths, it was also hurting and when that happens, you know it’s back.
“I’m only 60 per cent fit and I don’t want to play a major championship in that condition.
“My game is good but I just don’t want to take any chances this week.
“I don’t want to play in a tournament for the sake of playing in it but I want to be competing and be in contention. I want to be fit and I’ve always believed in that.”

Latest