Rising stars lead in Malaysia
Rising stars Noh Seung-yul of Korea and Thailand¿s Kiradech Aphibarnrat shared the limelight in Malaysia today.
Asia’s rising stars Noh Seung-yul of Korea and Thailand’s Kiradech Aphibarnrat shared the limelight after taking the joint second round lead at the Worldwide Holdings Selangor Masters.
The 18-year-old Noh and Kiradech, 20, shot a three-under-par 68 and 70 respectively to head the pack with their two-day totals of seven-under-par 135 at the Seri Selangor Golf Club.
The supremely talented duo lead by one stroke from South Africa’s James Kamte and Malaysian Shaaban Hussin, Kamte staying in the hunt with a battling 70 and Shaaban flying the local flag with a 69.
Australian Mitchell Brown, Chinese Taipei veteran Lu Chien-soon and another Malaysian, S. Siva Chandhran lie in tied fifth position on 137, going into the final two rounds.
Noh, winner of the Midea China Classic and Rookie of the Year last season, showed why he is one of Korea’s most exciting prospects as he put himself in position for a second Asian Tour title, thanks to an eagle and five birdies.
“Overall, I am happy with my game but it is still too early to be excited because it is only the second day. I’m looking forward to do better in the final two days,” said Noh, who altready has three-top-10s this season.
“I’ve enjoyed two consistent rounds because my irons are working well. I dropped two shots with a three putt on the 14th green and my tee shot at the 17th hole ended up under the trees but that’s okay.”
The burly Kiradech, a former world junior amateur champion, could have taken the sole lead but double bogeyed the 18th hole after sending an errant drive into the water hazard there. The Asian Tour rookie is still confident, though, of producing his career breakthrough.
“I was aiming for the right side of the fairway on the 18th hole but it went too far right,” he lamented.
“I’m just going to keep going for the next two days. Today my irons weren’t solid on the back nine but I was lucky to save several shots,” he added.
The powerful Kamte, winner for the Asian Tour International in Bangkok earlier this season, rued a cold putter as he battled the tricky greens at the par-71 course.
“After my first tee shot which I hit to about a foot on the first hole, I went on to three-putt from eight feet on the next hole. My putting was horrible. I kept hitting good shots but my putting let me down,” said Kamte.
“It was frustrating with the par fives where I made pars, so that’s a few shots that I threw away but looking on the positive side, I am still in the hunt and only one shot behind,” he added.
The 29-year-old Shaaban, playing on his home course, continued to ride on his impressive form when he holed a 20-foot putt for an eagle on the sixth hole.
The halfway cut was set at three-over-par 145 with 71 players making the last two rounds. Overnight leader Danny Chia of Malaysia, still suffering from flu, slipped back to be tied for 30th place after a 77 while title holder Ben Leong is in joint 55th place on 144.
THE LEADING SECOND ROUND SCORES
135 – Noh Seung-yul (KOR) 67-68, Kiradech Aphibarnrat (THA) 65-70
136 – James Kamte (RSA) 66-70, Shaaban Hussin (MAS) 67-69
137 – Lu Chien-soon (TPE) 71-66, S. Siva Chandhran (MAS) 69-68, Mitchell Brown (AUS) 68-69
138 – Gaurav Ghei (IND) 71-67, Iain Steel (MAS) 66-72, Bae Sang-moon (KOR) 69-69, Guido Van Der Valk (NED) 73-65, Kim Dae-hyun (KOR) 73-65, Marcus Both (AUS) 70-68
139 – Muhammad Munir (PAK) 73-66, Andrew Dodt (AUS) 69-70, Rick Kulacz (AUS) 68-71, Son Joon-eob (KOR) 73-66
R&A: ‘No plans’ for Open to head to Donald Trump-owned Turnberry in near future
Trump National in Bedminster was on Sunday stripped of next year’s US PGA Championship.
US PGA Championship moved from Donald Trump-owned course in New Jersey
Trump National in Bedminster had been set to host the event.
Justin Thomas : ‘I made a terrible, terrible judgement call’
Thomas admitted he was distracted by what happened on Saturday during his final round.
PGA Championship to be moved away from Donald Trump-owned course
It is the second time in six years the PGA has moved an event away from a course owned by Donald Trump.
‘It’s inexcusable’ – Justin Thomas apologises for homophobic slur in Hawaii
The world number three was heard using the derogatory word towards himself after missing a par putt.
Westwood, McDowell back petition to allow English golf courses to open
The duo have added their names to a petition that has passed 100 000 signatures.
Xander Schauffele pledges to ‘fake it until I make it’ after contracting Covid
Schauffele is one of 16 players in the Sentry Tournament of Champions who failed to win an official event last season.
After years with TaylorMade, Jon Rahm joins Callaway
Spaniard will have Callaway woods and irons in his bag at Sentry Tournament of Champions.
What to expect from the 2021 OMEGA Dubai Desert Classic
There are more prestigious events on the European Tour, but there’s no denying that the Dubai Desert Classic just has something about it.
Organisers delay ticketing process for 2021 Masters as another fan shutout looms
Augusta National Golf Club is considering its options before making a call on 2021 Masters.