Poulter to reduce his schedule
Ian Poulter has said he will be playing in fewer tournaments in 2013 after being exhausted at the end of this season.
Ian Poulter has revealed that he will be playing in fewer tournaments in 2013 after being left exhausted at the end of last season.
Poulter ended 2012 in disappointing fashion, finishing 17th out of 18 at last week’s World Challenge.
The Englishman admitted that he had really struggled with fatigue at the tournament and that he would be cutting down his schedule next year.
“To be honest, I’m kind of spent,” he admitted after the event.
“My body was just telling me, and I was making stupid mistakes. The first two days I was tired on the golf course and jet-lag takes its toll on you. It’s hard to get it exactly right.
“There are so many good tournaments around the world and I would love to play all of them but unfortunately we can’t.
“You have to look at it, plan it and try and play where you know you can perform.
“I’ve got to a stage in my career where playing 26 weeks a year is probably too much,” he added.
“So I’m going to look to cut a few tournaments out next season.
While Poulter had to wait until November to win his one and only title – the WGC-HSBC Champions – the year was most certainly one to remember for 36-year-old after he played a pivotal role in Europe’s Ryder Cup-winning campaign.
Bryson DeChambeau keeping brain relaxed to avoid repeat of Masters misery
DeChambeau said his brain went into overdrive at Augusta National.
European Tour preparing for business as planned in the Middle East
Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship is due to start next week.
Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera arrested in Brazil
The former US Open and Masters winner was on the run from the law.
On this Day in 2013: Paul McGinley given Ryder Cup captaincy
McGinley would go on to be involved in a sixth Ryder Cup victory.
Collin Morikawa keen to draw inspiration from family ties to Hawaii at Sony Open
Venezuela’s Jhonattan Vegas has withdrawn from the event after testing positive for coronavirus.
R&A: ‘No plans’ for Open to head to Donald Trump-owned Turnberry in near future
Trump National in Bedminster was on Sunday stripped of next year’s US PGA Championship.
US PGA Championship moved from Donald Trump-owned course in New Jersey
Trump National in Bedminster had been set to host the event.
Justin Thomas : ‘I made a terrible, terrible judgement call’
Thomas admitted he was distracted by what happened on Saturday during his final round.
PGA Championship to be moved away from Donald Trump-owned course
It is the second time in six years the PGA has moved an event away from a course owned by Donald Trump.
‘It’s inexcusable’ – Justin Thomas apologises for homophobic slur in Hawaii
The world number three was heard using the derogatory word towards himself after missing a par putt.