O’Grady relieved Woods not injured

Home

European Tour chief executive George O’Grady expressed relief that Tiger Woods did not suffer serious injury in a car crash.

European Tour chief executive George O’Grady today expressed relief that Tiger Woods did not suffer serious injury in a car crash.
Woods was released from hospital in “good condition” last night following a crash outside his home.
The Florida Highway Patrol (FHP) said Woods’ car struck a fire hydrant and then a tree in the early hours of Friday morning in Isleworth, an exclusive suburb in Windermere, Florida.
The 33-year-old was taken to Health Central Hospital in Ocoee.
A joint statement from the hospital and Woods’ office read: “Tiger Woods was in a minor car accident outside his home last night.
“He was admitted, treated and released in good condition.”
Windermere Police Chief Daniel Saylor said Woods’ wife Elin used a golf club to smash out the back window and helped to get the golfer out of the car following the crash.
Mr Saylor added that officers found Woods lying in the street with his wife hovering over him. The golfer was in and out of consciousness when officers arrived, he said.
O’Grady told Sky Sports News: “For the whole world of golf we wish him well and hope there’s no real damage and he recovers very soon.
“He’s a role model for the world of golf, not just the European Tour. I think everybody will be delighted the injuries are not serious.
“What a relief for everyone in the world of golf.”
The FHP said Woods was driving a 2009 Cadillac sport utility vehicle and the crash was not alcohol-related.
However, a spokesman added that the incident was still under investigation and charges were pending.
The Mayor of Windermere, Gary Bruhn, told CNN: “An accident occurred about 2:30 this morning and Windermere police were first upon the scene because basically we’re right there and can arrive within a minute and a half.
“I understand that there were some facial lacerations and he was taken to Health Central Hospital where he was treated and then I’m told he was released.”
Bruhn said he did not know the specifics of the incident but added that the fact that charges were pending was a routine part of any accident investigation.
“Something like this would be just an ongoing investigation,” he added.
“I think it’s nothing more than an accident but from that standpoint they’ve got to let everything run its full course and do the investigation to see what was involved.
“I’m told that could take a number of days to come to its conclusion.”
Bruhn said there was nothing about the situation which appeared unusual.
“Absolutely not, nothing that I’m aware of,” Bruhn told CNN. “An accident occurred, we responded and as I understand it there were facial lacerations and nothing that serious.”
Woods recently returned to America after winning the JBWere Masters in Melbourne by two shots.
The 14-time major winner is scheduled to host his own tournament, the Chevron World Challenge, next week in California.
It remains to be seen whether Woods, who previously won the event in 2001, 2004, 2006 and 2007, will be fit enough to attend or compete.
He also missed last year’s tournament while recovering from knee surgery which he underwent shortly after a remarkable victory in the US Open at Torrey Pines.
The 18-player field will compete for a first-place prize of 1.35 million US dollars (£818,505). For the first time since the tournament’s inception in 1999, world ranking points will be awarded.
“I think that has helped us attract the best field we’ve ever had,” Woods said recently.
“It should be an exciting week for the fans and I’m looking forward to competing.”

Latest