Langer surprised Price skipping Open
Bernhard Langer has expressed surprise that Nick Price, winner of the last Open at Turnberry, is not playing in it this year
Bernhard Langer has expressed his surprise that Nick Price, winner of the last Open to be played at Turnberry, is not returning next month to play in it again.
The two are now stars of the Champions Tour in America and Langer, in Munich for the BMW International Open starting today, said: “If I was exempt I would play, especially as it’s the week before the Senior British Open.”
Price, now 52, won at Turnberry in 1994, earning an exemption that will not run out for another eight years.
But the Zimbabwean has decided not to enter for family reasons and because he would prefer to see the place taken up by a younger player.
“I’ve not spoken to Nick about it, but your priorities might change at a certain time in your life,” added Langer, who has never won The Open and is not exempt like Price.
Runner-up to Bill Rogers at Sandwich in 1981 and to Seve Ballesteros at St Andrews in 1984, the German star was third at Lytham only eight years ago, but has not been part of the last two Opens.
He has already earned over a million dollars in seniors golf this season – and last year topped their money list with more than two million.
Langer is back now for what is the 446th appearance of a European Tour career which stretches all the way back to 1974.
Last year he was paired in the first two rounds with rising German star Martin Kaymer, who went on to win in a play-off against Dane Anders Hansen, and this time he finds himself alongside Northern Irish ‘wunder kind’ Rory McIlroy.
The 20-year-old, who was 10th on his US Open debut on Monday, said: “He obviously still has the game to compete and I think it will be a great experience for me.
“Hopefully I might pick up something from him.”
JT Poston completes wire-to-wire victory at John Deere Classic
England’s Callum Tarren bogeyed two of his last four holes en route to a one-under 70 as he was forced to settle for equal-sixth place.
Adrian Meronk makes history for Poland as David Law celebrates Open berth
Meronk’s flying finish made him his country’s first winner on the DP World Tour.
Paul Casey becomes latest player to join LIV Golf series
He opted out of the inaugural Saudi International on the European Tour in 2019 citing concerns over the country’s human rights record.
Adrian Meronk has the edge as he aims to make Tour history for Poland
A third round of 68 at Mount Juliet means a one-shot advantage on a crowded leaderboard.
Shane Lowry birdies last four holes to make Irish Open cut
Jorge Campillo tops the leaderboard at the midway point.
Keith Pelley hits back at 16 players threatening DP World Tour with legal action
Pelley says the sanctions against players who competed in the first LIV Golf event are ‘proportionate’ and ‘fair’.
JT Poston takes two-shot lead at John Deere Classic
The 29-year-old also became the first player on record to open consecutive Tour events with 62 or better.
Ryan Fox surprised to be leading after opening round of Horizon Irish Open
The New Zealander carded a flawless 64 to set the pace at Mount Juliet.
Defiant Lee Westwood does not believe playing in LIV should harm Ryder Cup hopes
Westwood doesn’t agree with penalties and sanctions.
Shane Lowry welcomes closer ties between Tours in response to threat from LIV
The PGA Tour and DP World Tour announced the next phase of their strategic alliance.