Fleetwood goes low at Kingsbarns
Tommy Fleetwood shot a 63 at Kingsbarns to share the lead after two rounds of the Dunhill Links Championship.
Tommy Fleetwood shot a nine-under-par 63 at Kingsbarns on Friday to share the lead after two rounds of the Alfred Dunhill Links Championship.
The Englishman, a former Walker Cup player and English Amateur champion whose victory at the Kazakhstan Open earlier this month took him to the top of the Challenge Tour rankings and secured him a place on the European Tour for 2012, lies on twelve under par for the tournament, tied with joint overnight leader Michael Hoey of Northern Ireland, who shot a 66 today, also at Kingsbarns.
Fleetwood won £55,000 for his victory in Kazakhstan, but he could earn himself more than 10 times that amount should he triumph in Scotland this week.
The 20-year-old from Southport carded nine birdies and no bogeys on Friday and was understandably pleased with his performance.
“It feels pretty good,” said Fleetwood. “It’s pretty unexpected to be honest. Just to get the invite and the experience of playing here is great.
“I didn’t hit it very well yesterday but I holed good putts on the first three or four holes today and didn’t really look back. I learn every time I play at the moment.
“The last couple of weeks I’ve had no pressure on me really. I know where I’m playing next year, which is great, and it’s definitely given me confidence because there was a bit of thought of ‘Can I win?’ because I had been in there so many times.
“I finally got it done, so let’s see if I can do it on the bigger stage now.”
With so many big names also in attendance this week, including five of the world’s top six, how does Fleetwood feel about the prospect of pitting himself against them over the weekend?
“It’s pretty cool,” he said.
“I’ve watched it on TV for years and pretty much analyse everything they do, try to learn off them, and obviously my name is in pretty good company right now.
“Hopefully I can shoot a decent score at Carnoustie tomorrow and then play with somebody like Martin Kaymer or Lee Westwood. That would be really cool.”
Joint leader Hoey, another former Walker Cup player who won that even back in 2001 when he was playing alongside Luke Donald, is seeking his second European Tour win of the year this weekend.
“I’ve always enjoyed this pro-am format,” said the 32-year-old. “A couple of years ago I was tied for the lead after two rounds. It’s slow, but it really takes your mind off stuff between shots.”
Former Open champion Louis Oosthuizen, who won the Claret Jug at St Andrews in 2010, is alone in third, one off the lead after shooting a 67 at Carnoustie to add to his opening 66 at Kingsbarns.
The 28-year-old will play his next two rounds at the Home of Golf in an effort to lift another trophy at the famed course.
Graeme McDowell is one of five players on 10 under, two off the lead, after shooting a second consecutive 67 – this time at Carnoustie.
Martin Kaymer shot the same score at the same course to lie on nine under, three back, while Lee Westwood and Rory McIlroy are both five shots back on seven under and still very much in with a shout.
World number one Luke Donald is a full eight shots adrift after a second-round one-under-par 71.
Keith Pelley hits back at 16 players threatening DP World Tour with legal action
Pelley says the sanctions against players who competed in the first LIV Golf event are ‘proportionate’ and ‘fair’.
JT Poston takes two-shot lead at John Deere Classic
The 29-year-old also became the first player on record to open consecutive Tour events with 62 or better.
Ryan Fox surprised to be leading after opening round of Horizon Irish Open
The New Zealander carded a flawless 64 to set the pace at Mount Juliet.
Defiant Lee Westwood does not believe playing in LIV should harm Ryder Cup hopes
Westwood doesn’t agree with penalties and sanctions.
Shane Lowry welcomes closer ties between Tours in response to threat from LIV
The PGA Tour and DP World Tour announced the next phase of their strategic alliance.
Padraig Harrington fears LIV series poses threat to future of DP World Tour
The US Senior Open champion thinks there is only room for the PGA and one other tour in the world game.
Steve Stricker makes Padraig Harrington sweat as Irishman wins US Senior Open
The pair were rival captains in last year’s Ryder Cup in Wisconsin.
Golfers warned of further sanctions if they continue to play in LIV breakaway
The DP World Tour has issued fines of £100,000 and tournament bans to its members who played in the inaugural LIV Golf event earlier this month
DP World Tour hits members who played inaugural LIV series with £100,000 fines
They have also been banned from several forthcoming tournaments including the Scottish Open.
Rory McIlroy not impressed as Brooks Koepka becomes latest big name to join LIV
The world number two labelled the players who have joined the new series as “duplicitous” for the way they have handled their breakaway.