East Lake GC
Atlanta’s storied East Lake has a history going back to 1904 which strongly features legendary Bobby Jones.
Atlanta’s reverred and storied East Lake Golf Club, now the permanent home of the up-coming FedEx Cup finale, The Tour Championship, has a history going back to 1904 which strongly features the legendary Bobby Jones.
Jones, the only man to have won the the grand slam of golf (all four majors in a year in the bygone days when the majors were made up of the (British) Open and Amateur and the US Open and Amateur) would later come to be known as the key figure behind the establishment of the famed Augusta National Golf Club and the Masters Championship.
But in fact East Lake was his home club were he nurtured his extraordinary talent and which gave him a base from where to launch his magnificent career.
East Lake Golf Club also prides itself on the fact that it has served as the driving force behind the remarkable revitalization of the East Lake community in Atlanta, Georgia.
Over the years it has donated to the East Lake Foundation more than $18m from Founding Sponsor members, as well as from the proceeds of Golf Club events.
The original course, designed by Tom Bendelow and Donald Ross and opened in 1902, had slowly moved away from its initial layout by the end of the 20th Century, but renowned architecht Rees Jones restored it to its former Donald Ross glory in 1994 and it is today regarded as one of the leading courses in the USA.
It now measures 7,374 yards from the championship tees and usually plays to a par 72.
It’s most talked about hole must surely be its 165-yard, par-3 sixth, which plays from an elevated tee to a diagonally angled peninsula green.
This particular green complex existed on the original Bendelow/Ross course, where it served as the green at the par-5 16th and was one of the first island greens in America.
The course rating is 73.9 and it has a slope rating of 137.
TOUR OF THE COURSE
You can see hole-by-hole graphics and video tours of the course on the East Lake Golf Club’s official site by CLICKING HERE
GUIDE LINES FOR GUESTS
(Note: East Lake is a private members club, but outsiders can play as guests of its members):
– Gratuities: East Lake GC has a strict, no-tipping policy. This includes for caddies and valet, and locker room attendants.
– Locker Room: A full service locker room is available.
– Footwear: Soft-spikes, approved by East Lake Golf Club, are required for play. Spike changes are available in each locker room.
– Dress Code: Proper dress is required. Collared shirts and bermuda length shorts are permitted. Denim clothing, t-shirts, cut-offs or sweats are not permitted on the course or in the clubhouse.
– Golf Shop: Guests are requested to check in with the Golf Shop before beginning play. Golf Shop merchandise may be purchased with cash, credit card or check.
Fees: All guest fees and charges for food and beverages are billed to the account of the member who has invited the guest or guests
– Pace of Play: The pace of play for groups of 4 at East Lake Golf Club is 4 1/2 hours (15 minutes per hole) for 18 holes. Those unable to maintain this pace will be asked to allow faster groups to play through.
– Walking only course: East Lake is a walking-only golf club. Golf Carts are available only to those who have a State Issued Handicap Certificate.
– Cellular Phones: Cellular phones or similar devices are not permitted on the golf course or in The Grill Room.
East Lake Golf Club, Atlanta, Georgia
Phone (404) 373-5722
fax (404) 687-8722
Web addess: http://www.eastlakegolfclub.com
New Ryder Cup captain Luke Donald motivated by ‘bitter’ memories of 2021 defeat
Stenson was stripped of the role for breaking his contract by joining the Saudi-backed LIV Golf series.
The task facing Luke Donald after replacing Henrik Stenson
Stenson was appointed on March 15 and said he was fully committed to a role before signing with the Saudi-backed LIV Golf series.
Tony Finau claims second straight PGA Tour victory
The American won the 3M Open in his previous outing.
Henrik Stenson cushions Ryder Cup blow with £3.6m debut win in LIV Golf
The Swede was stripped of his role as Europe captain after joining the Saudi-backed breakaway tour.
Former Masters champion Bubba Watson becomes latest player to join LIV Golf
The left-hander is currently sidelined by a knee injury and is not expected to play until next season,
Luke Donald tipped to replace Henrik Stenson as Europe’s Ryder Cup captain
The Swede lost the job 127 days after his appointment following his decision to join the LIV Golf series.
Max Homa: Tiger Woods now understands the respect he commands from his peers
Homa has made no secret of his admiration for Woods.
Bernard Gallacher fears Greg Norman is not the man for compromise with LIV Golf
Players who have resigned from the PGA Tour to join LIV Golf will not be eligible for next year’s Ryder Cup.
Brooke Henderson takes two-shot lead into final round of Evian Championship
South Korea’s Ryu So-yeon climbed into outright second place on 15 under.