Dustin Johnson to miss Sony Open

Home

Dustin Johnson has opted out of this week’s Sony Open, the second event on the PGA Tour’s 2011 schedule.

Dustin Johnson has opted out of this week’s Sony Open, the second event on the PGA Tour’s 2011 schedule and the second and final tournament on the Tour’s Hawaii swing.

The big hitting American. who was widely reported this past weekend to be dating LPGA Tour glamour girl Natalie Gulbis, said after playing in the Hyundai Tournament of Champions in Maui that he was withdrawing from this week’s Honolulu tournament and would be returning home to South Carolina.

“He sent me a text saying he had to go home and take care of a couple of personal issues,” Johnson’s agent, David Winkle, told the media on Monday

Johnson, who has declined to comment on Gulbis’ brief confirmation that she had indeed been dating him, but that she would rather Johnson handle their “PR”, tied for 16th at the 2010 Sony and 10th in 2008, when playing in the first event of his rookie season on the US Tour.

Last year after topping the US money list after twice winning on Tour and twice finishing second in a major, the US Open and the US PGA, he was singled out as one of the US’s leading rising stars.

Johnson is not known to be injured and there is speculation that he has withdrawn from the popular Sony Open in order to avoid the media while he and his advisors are putting together a suitable media strategy re his relationship with Gulbis

Latest