Daly unclear about suspension

Home

John Daly seems to be blissfully unaware of any action taken against him after a recent incident in Australia.

John Daly seems to be blissfully unaware of any action taken against him after a recent incident in Australia.

Left angry by a two-shot penalty for hitting the wrong ball at the previous hole, Daly promptly hit seven balls into the water guarding the Lakes’ 11th hole at the Australian Open last month.

At that point he decided he’d had enough and left the course and the tournament.

It was a display that left Golf Australia and the Australian PGA distinctly unimpressed. They withdrew their invitation to the two-time major winner for the Australian PGA Championship in Coolum and confirmed that both bodies would be set to take further disciplinary action against him.

But Daly himself doesn’t seem to be aware of any sanctions imposed.

Speaking at this week’s Thailand Golf Championship, he said: “I haven’t really talked to anybody and they haven’t talked to me.”

Asked for a response, Australian PGA chief executive Brian Thorburn said on Friday that this wasn’t the case.

“John is fully aware that the sanctioning committee has made its ruling,” Thorburn said according to the Herald-Sun.

“By convention, we don’t publicly release any details … but it has definitely been imposed. It’s disappointing to hear John say otherwise, but it’s tough to know the context in which he spoke. But any inference we haven’t done anything is totally wrong.”

Latest