Chandler: Darren almost quit in April
Darren Clarke’s agent Andrew ‘Chubby’ Chandler has disclosed that the new Open champion almost quit golf in April.
Darren Clarke’s agent Andrew ‘Chubby’ Chandler has disclosed that the 42-year-old Northern Ireland veteran almost quit golf just months before his stunning success at The Open.
Clarke secured his first major title at the 140th Open at Sandwich on Sunday after holding off the challenge of Phil Mickelson and Dustin Johnson.
The celebrations that followed were, however, a far cry from Clarke’s state of mind in April – with Chandler saying the Ryder Cup star had contemplated walking away from golf after a poor run of form culminated in a round of 81 in Morocco.
Chandler, who also handles the business affairs of three other recent major winners, Rory McIlroy, Louis Oosthuizen and Charl Schwartzel, said he convinced Clarke to instead take a short break from the game – advice that has proved spot on as he returned to win in Mallorca before his Open triumph.
“He was so low he thought about giving it up,” Chandler told The Guardian.
“It was the lowest I have ever seen him. He wasn’t hitting the ball like he used to in Morocco, so I told him to take extra holiday.
“He went away for three weeks and came back refreshed.”
Refreshed? After his recent heroics at Royal St George’s it might be more apt to say super-charged.
Defiant Lee Westwood does not believe playing in LIV should harm Ryder Cup hopes
Westwood doesn’t agree with penalties and sanctions.
Shane Lowry welcomes closer ties between Tours in response to threat from LIV
The PGA Tour and DP World Tour announced the next phase of their strategic alliance.
Padraig Harrington fears LIV series poses threat to future of DP World Tour
The US Senior Open champion thinks there is only room for the PGA and one other tour in the world game.
Steve Stricker makes Padraig Harrington sweat as Irishman wins US Senior Open
The pair were rival captains in last year’s Ryder Cup in Wisconsin.
Golfers warned of further sanctions if they continue to play in LIV breakaway
The DP World Tour has issued fines of £100,000 and tournament bans to its members who played in the inaugural LIV Golf event earlier this month
DP World Tour hits members who played inaugural LIV series with £100,000 fines
They have also been banned from several forthcoming tournaments including the Scottish Open.
Rory McIlroy not impressed as Brooks Koepka becomes latest big name to join LIV
The world number two labelled the players who have joined the new series as “duplicitous” for the way they have handled their breakaway.
R&A confirms LIV Golf Series players will be allowed to compete at Open
The 150th Open Championship will get underway at St Andrews in three weeks’ time.
Matt Fitzpatrick turns to other major winners for advice on dealing with fame
Fitzpatrick won the US Open on Sunday.
Brooks Koepka set to join Saudi-backed LIV Golf Invitational Series
Koepka’s brother Chase played in the opening event at Centurion Club earlier this month.