Baby will soften Fisher blow
Ross Fisher will use the impending birth of his first child to soften the blow of his collapse at Turnberry.
Dad-to-be Ross Fisher will use the impending birth of his first child to soften the crushing disappointment of his collapse in the Open at Turnberry.
The 28-year-old led the tournament with 16 holes remaining but a catastrophic quadruple-bogey eight at the 474-yard fifth sent him spiralling out of contention and he eventually finished tied for 13th on two over.
All week Fisher has had to field questions about the state of his wife Jo, who was due to give birth on Tuesday.
The world number 21, who was given dispensation by the R&A to take a mobile on the course with him, insisted that even if he was leading he would walk off the links should he get the call to say his wife had gone into labour.
That call did not come – although after his blow-up at the fifth he may have wished it had to save him from further punishment.
Fisher said even after that disasterous eight he still held out hope of re-starting his challenge.
“You just have to carry on – I was only back to level par. I still had 13 holes to go so I still felt I was very much in it,” he said.
“I felt if I could stay in it to the last few holes I knew 16, 17 and 18 had been very kind to me.
“I wasn’t angry with myself. It was a bad swing, that is all I can put it down to.
“Then I just tried to chip it out, couldn’t get it out, tried to chip it back out and it went straight across the other side of the fairway and I had not a chance of getting it out so had to take a drop.
“In the end I hit a great sixth shot and almost got away with a seven but made eight.
“Fingers-crossed in the next couple of days I’ll become a dad so I’m very much looking forward to it.”
Fisher was philosophical about his final round, which began with birdies at the first two holes, had two bogeys at the seventh and eight and finished with a run of 10 straight pars.
“It obviously wasn’t meant to be. It is a shame but I fought all the way and just one bad swing cost me an eight – but that is golf,” he said.
“I was hitting good shots even after the eight. I hit a good shot on seven and the wind never moved it, hit a good tee shot on the eighth and the wind never moved it and it cost me two bogeys.
“I played solid from there with 10 pars in a row but I couldn’t make a birdie.
“It has been a great week and I am just glad I was here for the four days.”
Those opening two birdies put Fisher into the lead at five under and even though he could not hold on, he enjoyed the experience while it lasted.
“I was just trying to stay focused after walking off the second green. I still had 16 holes to go having put myself into the lead,” said the Ascot-born golfer, who recorded a career-high fifth place in the majors at last month’s US Open.
“It’s great that I’ve tasted being leader of the Open Championship – that is pretty cool – but unfortunately it didn’t last.”
Collin Morikawa keen to draw inspiration from family ties to Hawaii at Sony Open
Venezuela’s Jhonattan Vegas has withdrawn from the event after testing positive for coronavirus.
R&A: ‘No plans’ for Open to head to Donald Trump-owned Turnberry in near future
Trump National in Bedminster was on Sunday stripped of next year’s US PGA Championship.
US PGA Championship moved from Donald Trump-owned course in New Jersey
Trump National in Bedminster had been set to host the event.
Justin Thomas : ‘I made a terrible, terrible judgement call’
Thomas admitted he was distracted by what happened on Saturday during his final round.
PGA Championship to be moved away from Donald Trump-owned course
It is the second time in six years the PGA has moved an event away from a course owned by Donald Trump.
‘It’s inexcusable’ – Justin Thomas apologises for homophobic slur in Hawaii
The world number three was heard using the derogatory word towards himself after missing a par putt.
Westwood, McDowell back petition to allow English golf courses to open
The duo have added their names to a petition that has passed 100 000 signatures.
Xander Schauffele pledges to ‘fake it until I make it’ after contracting Covid
Schauffele is one of 16 players in the Sentry Tournament of Champions who failed to win an official event last season.
After years with TaylorMade, Jon Rahm joins Callaway
Spaniard will have Callaway woods and irons in his bag at Sentry Tournament of Champions.
What to expect from the 2021 OMEGA Dubai Desert Classic
There are more prestigious events on the European Tour, but there’s no denying that the Dubai Desert Classic just has something about it.