McIlroy taking nothing for granted
Rory McIlroy won’t take anything for granted despite the six-stroke lead he has heading into the final day of The Open Championship.
The Northern Irishman reflected on his recent Wentworth experience where he started the final round seven shots adrift of leader Thomas Bjorn, but would eventually win his first tournament of the year.
McIlroy said that it is not impossible for him to suffer a similar fate and insisted that he would have to be on top of his game if he is to take his victory telly for the year to two.
“I noticed coming off the 11th tee at Wentworth that Thomas (Bjorn) and Luke (Donald) had made 7s on the 6th hole. So I knew that it was my opportunity,” he said.
“This was my chance to make a few birdies. And there were some birdie opportunities coming up for me, par-4 11th, par-5 12.
“And I knew that I could make up some ground on them and maybe put a bit of pressure on them.
“Yeah, I’ll try and avoid the big numbers tomorrow, like what they did at Wentworth. Just try and keep it nice and tight, and play another good solid round of golf.”
McIlroy has played very consistent golf in recent times and seems to be over all the personal issues that may have influenced his 2013 performances.
On Saturday he produced the magic that once earned him golf’s top ranking as he finished the day with two eagles on the last three holes.
“I feel very comfortable. I’m comfortable in this position. I’m comfortable sort of leading the tournament. This is the third night in a row that I’ll sleep on the lead,” he said.
“It helps that I’ve been in this position before and I’ve been able to convert and I’ve been able to get the job done.
“Just really comfortable with my golf game. Comfortable with how I’m hitting it. Really comfortable on the greens.
“I feel like that’s been a big help this week. And I just need to go out there tomorrow and play one more solid round and hopefully that’s enough.”
If it is enough it will mean that McIlroy has won three of golf’s four majors and would stand just a Masters victory away from joining Tiger Woods, Jack Nicklaus, Gary Player, Ben Hogan and Gene Sarazen as the only players to have completed the fabled Grand Slam of golf.
Were he to do so next April at Augusta National he would, at 25, be the second youngest ever to have won all four after Woods who was 24.
Keith Pelley hits back at 16 players threatening DP World Tour with legal action
Pelley says the sanctions against players who competed in the first LIV Golf event are ‘proportionate’ and ‘fair’.
JT Poston takes two-shot lead at John Deere Classic
The 29-year-old also became the first player on record to open consecutive Tour events with 62 or better.
Ryan Fox surprised to be leading after opening round of Horizon Irish Open
The New Zealander carded a flawless 64 to set the pace at Mount Juliet.
Defiant Lee Westwood does not believe playing in LIV should harm Ryder Cup hopes
Westwood doesn’t agree with penalties and sanctions.
Shane Lowry welcomes closer ties between Tours in response to threat from LIV
The PGA Tour and DP World Tour announced the next phase of their strategic alliance.
Padraig Harrington fears LIV series poses threat to future of DP World Tour
The US Senior Open champion thinks there is only room for the PGA and one other tour in the world game.
Steve Stricker makes Padraig Harrington sweat as Irishman wins US Senior Open
The pair were rival captains in last year’s Ryder Cup in Wisconsin.
Golfers warned of further sanctions if they continue to play in LIV breakaway
The DP World Tour has issued fines of £100,000 and tournament bans to its members who played in the inaugural LIV Golf event earlier this month
DP World Tour hits members who played inaugural LIV series with £100,000 fines
They have also been banned from several forthcoming tournaments including the Scottish Open.
Rory McIlroy not impressed as Brooks Koepka becomes latest big name to join LIV
The world number two labelled the players who have joined the new series as “duplicitous” for the way they have handled their breakaway.