Woods to make competitive return in Nov


Tiger Woods will make a return to golf next month and play in his first tournament for nine months at the Hero World Challenge.

The 41-year old will return to the game following back surgery which has kept him out of competitive action since February when he withdrew from the Dubai Desert Classic citing back spasms.

Woods announced his participation in the tournament, which he hosts in the Bahamas in a social media post that read: “I’d like to thank the committee of 1 for picking myself and Daniel Berger to play in this years #HeroWorldChallenge.”

The 14-time major winner underwent a fourth back operation that included fusing some of his vertebrae in April.

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg said earlier this month that his client had been cleared by doctors to resume full golf activity.

“I am excited to return to competitive golf at the Hero World Challenge,” Woods said.

“Albany is the perfect setting and it will be great to join this outstanding field. I want to thank Pawan Munjal and Hero MotoCorp for their continued support of this tournament and my foundation.

“I would also like to thank the fans for their unwavering support during my injury.”

The field includes the top four ranked players in the world – Dustin Johnson, Jordan Spieth, Hideki Matsuyama and Justin Thomas.

Woods was last week received a year’s probation after pleading guilty to reckless driving.

He was found by police officers passed out in his car and under the influence of prescription drugs on May 29.

The Hero World Challenge takes place between November 30 and December 3.