Torrey Pines South, the cliff-top course where this week's US PGA Tour event, the Farmers Insurance Open, will be played, opened for play in 1957 and has since become one of the most famous municipal golfing facilities in the world.
Some five years ago it was the stage for Tiger Woods' dramatic and most recent major victory, the 2008 US Open, which he won with a fractured bone in one leg.
Spectacular and challenging, both the South and North 18-hole championship layouts at this two-course set-up on the outskirts of San Diego in Southern California, are the work of golf course designer William P Bell and were completed by his son William F Bell.
Both courses test a player's skill with tight fairways, lush rough, pine trees, bunkers, sand and often challenging weather conditions.
Fog, rain and wind often sweep in on these seaside layouts, testing even the most seasoned player's skills.
The complex takes its name from the indigenous Torrey Pine which is native to the area and to Santa Rosa Island. The tree is distinguished by having clusters of five pine needles.
On the South Course, there are many holes that look directly onto the Pacific Ocean which lies a hundred yards below the links. Other holes have views of a huge natural canyon.
The North Course offers several holes that are situated high atop the bluffs overlooking the coastline.
With the massive advancement of golfing equipment and player power, the internationally renowned golf course designer Rees Jones was called in recently and given the task of re-modelling the South Course.
His efforts have been universally acclaimed and the course, which now measures 7,569 yards in length off the back tees, stood up to the test when Woods scored his famous US Open win there in 2008 when he beat Rocco Mediate.
Torrey Pines remains a municipal facility, however, and along with the Balboa Park Golf Course and the Mission Bay Golf Course and Practice Center, is owned and maintained by the City of San Diego and is open to the public, who can play either as registered citizens of the city or as a visitor.
HOLE BY HOLE
To get different aspects of the 18 holes of the South Course, including walk-through and flyover videos, you can go to the site set up by the USGA for the US Open in 2009 by clicking here
In addition to the North and South courses, facilities include:
- A highly professional driving range and practice putting greens where group and individual golf lessons are offered by qualified professional teachers.
- On-course food and beverage carts and a restaurant/grill at the Lodge at Torrey Pines which is adjacent to the golf course.
- One of the largest golf shops in the western United States , offering a full range of golf merchandise and the rental of golf shoes, clubs and hand and electric golf carts.
The numerous awards received by Torrey Pines is clear evidence of its high rating among the golfing people that count.
- Golf Links Magazine's selection as one of the "Must Play" courses in the world
- Golfweek Magazine's "America's Best Public-Access Courses" for California, 2006
- Golf Digest Magazine's "America's 100 Greatest Public-Access Golf Courses", 2005-2006
- Golf Digest Magazine's "Top Rated Golf Courses for California", 2005-2006
- Golf Magazine's "Top 100 Courses in the U.S.", 2005
- Golfweek Magazine's "America's Best Public-Access Courses for California", 2005
- Golf Magazine's "Top 100 Public-Access Golf Courses in America", 2004
- Golf Magazine's "Top 100 Courses in the U.S.", 2003
- Golf Magazine's "Top 100 Public-Access Courses", 2002
- Travel + Leisure Magazine: "Rare Beauties, Nice Prices"
- Golf Magazine's "America's Best Courses for $100 or Less", 2002
- Golf Magazine's "Top 100 Public-Access Courses", 2000
- Golf Magazine's "Top 500 Holes in the World", 2000 (Hole 12, Par 4)
SOUTH COURSE Green Fees (Mon- Thurs)
18-Hole $61.00 for residents (R) $183.00 for visitors (V)
18-Hole Senior (62 and over) $41.00
Twilight rounds (after 2pm) $38.00 (R); $104.00 (V)
SOUTH COURSE Green Fees (Fri- Sun and holidays)
18-Hole $76.00 (R), $229.00(V)
Twilight $46.00 (R)$137.00 (V)
NORTH COURSE Green Fees (Mon- Thurs)
18-Hole $40.00 (R) $100.00 (V)
18-Hole Senior (62 and over) $28.00 N/A
Twilight $24.00 (R) $60.00 (V)
NORTH COURSE Green Fees - (Fri- Sun and holidays)
18-Hole $50.00 (R) $125.00 (V)
Twilight $30.00 (R) $75.00 (V)
Reservations can be made from between 8 to 90 days in advance (based on availability). Telephone: (877) 581-7171, select Option 6
Note: At the time of reservation Non-Residents will pay a non-refundable booking fee of $43 and residents $30 per player.
This fee, in addition to green fees, is non-refundable and is collected at the time of reservation.
For further information on reservations, go to the Torrey Pines website by clicking here
Walk-on Waiting List
Torrey Pines does not accept reservations prior to 7:30am so every tee time from sun-up to 7:30 am is offered on a first-come-first-served basis.
Please note that Tournaments and course closures affect the availability of tee times.