By Neville Leck Last updated: 26th August 2013
Although the TPC Boston, which will stage this week's Deutsche Bank Championship, only opened on June 28, 2002, it has already established itself as one of the leading clubs on the nationwide TPC Network owned or operated by the US PGA TOUR.
The TPC Boston is a private club that, according to it's official website, "has been created, to provide its members with a unique golfing and entertainment experience in a setting of truly unsurpassed service".
The Club offers an 18-hole Arnold Palmer signature championship golf course of sufficient excellence as to have been chosen as the site for the second leg of the four-leg, FedEx Cup play-off series .
Innovative design and a great deal of respect for nature are the hallmarks of all truly great golf courses, and TPC Boston's architects believe that their championship layout "is no exception".
Originally designed by Palmer, the club's highly layout was re-designed in 2007 by celebrated golf course architect Gil Hanse, with PGA Tour player Brad Faxon serving as a consultant. The result is a compelling par-72, 7,241-yard standout that was named by Golf Digest as the 'Best Private Remodel' of 2007".
Built so as to fit seamlessly into the natural New England landscape, lush fairways and Bent grass greens traverse gently rolling hills, with stands of mature trees, rocky mounds and 92 deep bunkers creating a stern challenge and a stunning backdrop in Norton's Great Woods.
Yet while tough enough to challenge the world class field that annually contests the Deutsche Bank Championship, five sets of tees on each hole make the course an enjoyable experience for golfers of all skill levels.
In addition to the golf course, the TPC Boston offers an expansive 10 acre practice facility along with an elegant 34,000 square-foot clubhouse offering all the usual facilities that have come to be expected of golf institutions of quality.
Settled in the Great Woods of Norton, Massachusetts, the TPC Boston offers the understated, traditional feel New Englanders are accustomed to, while also providing the best of modern day amenities and comfort.
GOLF COURSE INFORMATION
Ratings and yardage
Off the Tour tees, it has a course rating of 77.0, a slope rating of 152 and is 7241 yards long
Off the members tees, it's course rating is 72.2, it's slope rating 142 and it is 6441 yards long with the women's equivalents being 72.0, 121/1325 and 5101 yards.
Click here for more info on the official club website
- The 34,000 square foot clubhouse was selected by Golf Inc. Magazine as the 2003 Top New Private Clubhouse in the United States.
The facility includes a dining room, a more casual Grille, meeting and banquet facilities, locker rooms, and a Pro Shop offering all the leading brands of equipment and apparel as well as special TPC Boston and Deutsche Bank branded goods
- The Main Dining Room has a capacity of 80 and offers a beautiful view of the 18th hole amid a classic New England interior.
- The Great Woods Grille has a capacity of 60 and is an ideal place to enjoy a meal before or after golf. A breezy patio is located just off the Grille Room overlooking the 18th hole.
- The Connell Room is for private functions and accommodates 32, with grand views of the 18th green.
- The Chart Room has been designed specifically for business meetings and has a capacity of 36. Audio visual equipment is available for rent.
SOME GUEST INFORMATION:
- Proper attire for the course and the clubhouse: A collared shirt and slacks for the men and a blouse and slax for the women. Bermuda-length shorts can be worn, but no denim attire of any kind, no T-shirts and no flip-flops are permissible and exercise, running, bathing, and tennis attire are not considered appropriate forms of dress. Only soft spikes are allowed, either on the course, or in the clubhouse.
- Rentals: Sets of men's Titleist and Ladies Cobra clubs are available for rent. Men's right-handed and left handed rental sets are available in regular or stiff shafts, while ladies clubs are offered with regular flex only. Each rental set comes with a complimentary 4-ball pack of Titleist NXT golf balls. Rental sets may be reserved in advance by telephoning the Golf Shop at (508) 285-9874.
- Day lockers are available without charge.
- You will have access to a driving range where you will be provided with practice balls. Chipping and putting greens are also available, both before and after your scheduled round of golf.
- Food and Beverage Services - the Club features both a la carte dining and private meeting facilities offering a full complement of services including breakfast, lunch, dinner and on-course refreshments.
- Tipping is allowed in all service areas, but is not required. An 18 percent gratuity is included in all food and beverage charges.
- Payment: The Club accepts American Express, Visa, Master Card, Diners Club, and Discover cards as well as cash for payment.
Some choice images from the final round of the Masters at Augusta, as Bubba Watson pulled of a superb repeat victory. Go to Gallery
The movers and shakers at the third round of the US Masters at Augusta National. Go to Gallery
- Jimenez makes winning debut
- Kuchar pips Donald to Heritage crown
- Fifteen-year-old Katsu wins in Japan
- Westwood claims commanding win
- Donald shoots into Heritage lead
- Jimenez leads Langer by one
- Wie wins first title on US soil
- Haas withdraws from RBC Heritage
- Westwood has slender lead
- Jimenez leads on debut
Neville Leck Blog
"The embrace a gleeful Sergio Garcia gave his German caddy after his first victory in 2013 at the Thailand Open on S..."
Harbour Town Golf Links where this week's RBC Heritage tournament will take place, is a players' favourite.
It would be no exaggeration to describe the Kuala Lumpur G&CC as one of Asia's towering beacons of its kind.
Looking For The Perfect Pitch? Visit The Swing Doctor!